Monday 13 April 2015

How I survived a Marathon

I just tried to rename this post so many times and I feel this should come with a disclaimer, I am amateur runner and these are the things that helped me survive. As April is Marathon month with Brighton, Paris and London all this month I thought I would share how I survived my first marathon last year.


1. Watch the video of the course you are doing!
26.2 miles is a lot longer then you think, I was shocked the first time I watched the video of the Brighton course as it was a lot longer then I thought even with a motorcycle riding it. I watched it plenty of times before my race and it really helped my visualise the course. When I was struggling running round the quieter part of Shoreham I was safe in the knowledge knowing how until I was back on the seafront.

2. Pack Supplies!
I can not recommend this enough, in that little bum bag I had jelly babies, plasters, Vaseline and paracetamol. I didn't need the Vaseline or plasters but was happy I had them just in case.  Its better to pack something and not need something then be hitting 15 miles and not having it. 

3. Have a variety of weather options.
Have you seen how changeable the weather is in the UK? My bag for Brighton had 3 different outfit variations which were all well tested gear. I go with dressing for cold weather as I can always take clothing off but if I'm cold and I haven't got any more layers I will struggle on that run. I always end up wearing more then the majority of the other runners but I do what works for me.

4. Get all the support that you can.
Its completely acceptable to put what your doing on social media-this is a massive achievement and people should send you messages of encouragement. The texts and facebook messages put smiles on my face as I was running round and they will help. Also having a name on your vest so people on the sides can cheer and get your attention by name, you really appreciate it.

5. Have fun and finish the race!
On my first race all I had to do was finish and that knowledge meant that I didn't push myself too much and could comfortably run and enjoy the race without hitting the dreaded 'wall.' I have friends who have run a marathon and hated it and I'm happy to say I enjoyed my first marathon and it continued my passion for running.


No comments:

Post a Comment