Thursday 1 January 2015

2014...the successes!

I thought I could round up my 2014 races!

January-april was dominated by marathon training. I got up at 4:45am to run 2 mornings a week. My weekends were dominated by long runs and refuelling. I learnt how to squat, lung & deadlift and did weights regularly in the gym and loved it!


I got my first pair of official running trainers (I lived in fear of loosing my toenails) and brought an obscene amount of gym wear. But during this time I was pushing my body to new longer distances and loved what my body could achieve rather then how it looked. I changed my mind frame to see that food was fuel & I naturally cut down on alcohol so it didn't effect my training. I felt fit & healthy and toned. 

I did however become a bit of a hermit. 5am runs meant I was asleep on the week by 9:30pm. I had a lovely birthday brunch but it didn't feel like my birthday and by the end I wanted my social life back!


On 22nd March (week after said birthday let down) I took part in the hastings half marathon! This is still my favourite race and the moment I felt like a runner. It was part of my brighton training plan- I was advices to do a coastal run so I was prepared for wind. I felt strong, I felt prepared & I had a plan and a pace to follow. I was told it was hilly but I didn't care I was going to do it. What I wasn't prepared for was the massive support-throughout the entire race. Bands & organisations along the way made it a real community feel. A very appreciated moment was when a woman  opened her house up for runners to use the toilet and had a selection of fruit and sweets in the hall for us to help ourselves!
I kept to my pace & felt like a runner for the first time. Heading forward into the marathon feeling strong. 


So then my big day came-brighton marathon 2014. It was overcast & grey but I was happy because I hate running in sunshine. I had trained for 5 months and I couldn't have felt stronger. I kept to my pace and let other people over take me. As my first marathon I just wanted to finish. As I got to mile 20 I was tired but still smiling - luckily not hitting the wall and finished the race in 5hrs 32min. 

So that's my 2014 successes next I'll explain my 2014 difficulties...

What were your race achievements of 2014? Did you start the year strong or get your stride later in the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment