Sunday 4 January 2015

2014....the not so good

So I've talked you through my successes and running my first marathon and now let me explain how it went downhill...

To sum up the 2nd part of 2014 I didn't train! I burnt myself out marathon training and took 2 weeks to rest and never fully returned to my desired training. I ran 'We Own The Night' 2014 and between my April marathon and may 10K I barely ran and followed no real structure. I struggled through the 10K being cocky thinking "I've run a marathon how hard could this be?" The answer, quite hard! I felt defeated and low and afterwards I wanted to kick start my training again. 

I decided I would sign up to a half marathon to keep me focused and kick my butt out of bed to run, I also signed up to Sure's Run to The Beat to give me more races to keep me motivated with medals. 



But as you can see from my September/October goals I struggled completing my training runs. I did 80% of the runs but I wasn't as strict as I could have been. When it came time to complete Run Through's Wimbledon half marathon I was shocked by the small numbers. Although the atmosphere was lovely the small numbers meant that I felt that I was slower then I was, as I was one of the last runners the entire course. I kept thinking that if there were more runners I wouldn't have been so isolated and could have had more competition. I struggled with the hills, I struggled mentally crossing the finish line and I finished another race feeling defeated and cross with myself for not training correctly. I finished the race to go on holiday expecting to come home and get fit once more. 

Since coming back from holiday my health and body have no been working together and I am a very low point in my stamina and running fitness. I have been having IBS flair ups which means I can't feed my body ready for exercise and also feel too uncomfortable to run. 

But it's 2015 and I'm putting my past behind and looking forward to supporting my body to be stronger and faster this year. 

Have you reflected on your 2014 mistakes? Are you focussed going in to 2015? What are you goals for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment