Monday 4 January 2016

How to make successful new year plans...


I find my most successful new year resolutions are ones with clear steps & goals. For 2016 my goal is try my first triathlon. This is going to be difficult for me as I'm not currently a confident swimmer & I don't currently own a bike. But these are the challenges that are going to work towards and give me the satisfaction I've been missing from my work outs. I'm putting my goals up here & to give example of how to plan a new year resolution but also to make myself accountable. 

Time specific: set a date and a target. I've looked at sprint distances and there is the crystal palace pool based triathlon in May. This gives me enough time to build up my swimming & buy a bike. Also being a pool based tri I don't have to buy a wetsuit just yet. Setting a time for a goal means that you have to have a deadline to work towards. 

Break it down into smaller stages- although I want to do an Olympic distance a sprint distance is a smaller goal to build up to. I'm also including lots of new classes into my exercise routine 
-spin classes & strength training. Variety to my routine to keep myself interested. Don't throw yourself into something that isn't realistic for your body to cope with or something you don't have the time to do. 

Be realistic- I'm not going to be able train for a new challenge as well as lower my body fat and save for a mortgage. I only do one important new year resolution to focus on and concentrate on the one main goal. Be realistic about what you can achieve, what the most important goal is for you?

So my January goals are:
Run at least 2 times a week. 
Attend 3 spin classes in the month. 
Swim 2 times this month. 
Save £100 towards a bike. 

What are your new year resolutions? Any tips for training for our first triathlon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment